September 01, 2007

Foods while traveling Hokkaido
We went to Hokkaido again!! Of course we tripped to Hokkaido by trains.
And we ate Ekiben which are boxed meals sold at stations.

They ate Tonkatsu Bento in trains which was sleeping trains. Tonkatsu is a popular dish in Japan. Tonkatus is deeped-fried pork. My sons like it.

I ate rice with clams Bento. It was very healthy.

My husband ate Ueno Bento. Ueno is name of station in Tokyo.

We ate breakfast in a buffet car.

I ate crab Bento in the other day in a train.


We ate ramen in Sapporo, from the capital of Hokkaidō. Sapporo is very famous for ramen.
Ramen is noodle and soup. This soup was Shio ("salt") type which taste was plain.

This is Ikuradon. Ikura is salmon caviar. Don means rice bowl.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 7:52 AM , Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

It all looks yummy, especially the salmon caviar!

 
At 6:10 PM , Blogger Lucy said...

My younger son likes the salmon caviar. But my older son can't have it.

 
At 4:11 AM , Blogger SzélsőFa said...

Which of these dishes can you make at home?

 
At 10:38 PM , Blogger Lucy said...

SzélsőFa,
We cook Tonkatsu sometimes. when I don't have any time, I buy Tonkatsu in shops.
But Tonkatsu has a lot of fat.

 
At 6:35 PM , Blogger SzélsőFa said...

I checked Wikipedia about Tonkatsu. Hungarian gastronomy has a very similar dish. Any kind of meat can be prepared the way Tonkatsu is made. Flour first, beaten eggs second and breadcrumbs third. Fry in oil/fat, and voila.
It is extremely popular in Hungary. I don't make it often, for it takes a lot of time.
We do it not only from meat, but from mushrooms, cauliflower (my favourite 'tonkatsu'), courgettes, eggplants... The list is endless :)
It is very delicious.

 
At 8:51 PM , Blogger Lucy said...

I have jobs on weekend. I can't cook Tonkatsu. So I buy it or we eat it in restraints. When we eat Tonkatsu in a restraint, we eat Tonkatsu with cabbage, rice and bean paste soup(miso soup) . Someday we will show you this dish.

 
At 4:35 PM , Blogger SzélsőFa said...

Yes, please, I'm interested in that bean paste soup.

 
At 4:08 AM , Blogger Jay said...

Those actually look pretty good. Much better than I would expect from a box lunch!

 
At 7:55 PM , Blogger LanternLight said...

Tonkatus is deeped-fried pork

I'd like to try that one day.

 
At 11:36 PM , Blogger Lucy said...

jAY,
There are a lot of nice lunch boxes in Japan. When you come over to Japan, you should try it.

Lanternlight
I find you like Tonkatsu in western. But you like beaf more than pork.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home