January 01, 2009

New Year dishes called OSECHI
My mother made a lot of new year dishes. My mother prepared OSECHI before New Year's Day. It was so busy.

Now I didn't cook OSECHI. I just bought them. We can get a lot of food at the first three days of the New Year at shops. It is convenient.

When I was young, shops didn't open at the first three days of the New Year. My mother had to cook OSECH that could be kept for a long time.
Which is better ?

This holiday, my husband has job. (It is not every year.)
It is not good for my sons. The first three days of the New Year are important for Japanese. I think New Years are more important than Christmas for Japanese. But recently Japanese forget about it. Many customers like convinience.
We have to change it.


Labels:

3 Comments:

At 6:23 AM , Blogger SzélsőFa said...

Happy New Year to you Lucy!
It is always refreshing to come here and read something about Japan and its traditions.
Don't worry (again) about your English : ))

 
At 10:15 AM , Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

I think, when I was little, my grandmother used to make many traditional dishes. It took time, she would show us how to do it. Now we are such busy parents, there seems to be no time to make these traditional dshes.
I know it seems the dishes seem to taste nicer, or maybe we appreciate them more when they are made with love.

 
At 3:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Osechi looks very good. It also looks like it would take a long time to make. It's a good thing you can buy such pretty food already made.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home