January 14, 2006


Why do I call me "Lucy"?
My name is Lucy. You know I am Japanese.
Of course it is a nickname. This nickname has a long story.
When I was a freshman in university, I had standard English which were old English poems. Those lessons were so boring. Because the professor was very old, sometime he went to the bathroom while he went into teaching for students, and English poems were difficult to understand.

When we started the first class, the professor taught us a poem called "Lucy".
The poet's name was William Wordworth(1770-1850).

He said "Lucy" means "shining". And he said to me "Oh, your name's Chinese character
means shining. Your name is same "Lucy in English ". "

That time everybody were freshman and we didn't talk to each oter in the class,
but from that lesson we made friends with each other.

That's why my classmates called me "Lucy".

By the way does "Lucy" mean "shining"?
I asked native English speaker about it.
But they said we didn't know.

If you know about meaning of Lucy, please tell me.

4 Comments:

At 9:12 PM , Blogger jomama said...

"Luz" is a common name in Spanish and means "light". I imagine that's where Lucy came from.

All poetry is incomprehensible to me, no matter the language.

 
At 11:20 PM , Blogger Tom said...

The name "Lucy" is of Latin origin and means light. Shining would be a reasonable interpretation of the name.

By the way, I came across your blog by pushing the "next blog" button. I found it interesting because I am trying to learn German. Your English is much better than my German.

 
At 8:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the name Lucy can mean "shining", it can also mean "light".

It is a lovely name. Wear it well. :)

Owl.

 
At 10:54 PM , Blogger Lucy said...

Thank you for your message.Iunderstood that teacher was right.
I found your English names have each origins. It is interested for me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home